Thursday, September 30, 2010

Garden Lunch Tradition


One little thing I’ve been doing to improve my health is to have periodically a “garden lunch.” What that means is that everything I eat has come from my garden or the produce section at the local store. Early fall is a wonderful time to have these lunches on the weekend to enjoy while watching football, assured that what I’m eating is unlikely going to make me look like a nose-guard and more like a half back. This last Sunday, I had one of these garden lunches and I have to say, it was filling and nutritious. It was also very tasty.


The heart of the lunch was a nice piece of sweet meat squash. Spiced with salt, cinnamon, and honey, it this is the starchy core of the meal. Also adding some starch was a nice succulent ear of corn on the cob. Added to these, I added some greens, kale and swiss chard to be exact. Steamed and salted, I added some cumin, dill seed, fresh oregano and basil (only the cumin was not from my garden). To add some raw dishes to the garden lunch, I added a sliced red pepper and tomato.

All in all, it was a very tasty lunch. A little later in the afternoon, I ate some fresh plums that the birds had missed. Try a garden lunch. It’s good for you and tastes terrific. And though I won’t say it’s free, it is already paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment